Spit for Science fosters interdisciplinary and cross-campus collaborations here at VCU as well as inter-institutional collaborations with our external partners. We encourage faculty and trainees to get connected with our research community by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Below you will find options for collaborators interested in accessing our existing datasets as well as those who need additional data collected from our registrants. For a basic overview of the S4S survey and genotypic data that are available for access, we encourage you to review the S4S Data page.
Options for Collaboration:
- Description: Researchers may request access to the Spit for Science data (survey and/or genotypic) for the purpose of secondary data analyses.
- General Requirements: Projects must be in line with the broad aims of the project (understanding how genetic and environmental factors contribute to substance use and college behavioral & emotional health outcomes) and unique from projects that are currently ongoing.
- How to Request Data Access:
- Review all collaborator projects, review info about our available data, and discuss your project idea with the S4S Director
- Request the De-Identified Data Sharing Agreement (DSA) from email@example.com
- Send the completed DSA back to the registry for review and approval to access the data
- Get connected with the data and resources available
- Collaborators who are granted access to S4S data are required to:
- Provide updates about their project once a year (upon request by S4S)
- Submit all manuscripts, posters, and presentations to the registry for review and approval prior to their submission to a journal or association/conference
- Return data created in the course of analysis back to the registry (e.g. compiled variables and associated analytic code).
- Description: Spit for Science can carry out Spin-Off Studies, in which we recontact our participants to collect additional measures that are not already in our database. A select number of Spin-Off Studies will be approved annually.
- Requirements: The Spin-Off Study must have funding available for data collection and will require approval by the Spit for Science Director, Steering Committee, and the IRB.
- How to Apply for a Spin-Off Study:
- Review all materials regarding Protocol to Access Participants and Agreement for Approved Protocols (request these from S4S), as well as current/previous Spin-Off Studies
- Develop your project idea and discuss with the S4S Director
- Secure funding (Spit for Science staff must review all grant proposals prior to submission)
- Submit the Agreement for Approved Protocols to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Approved Spin-Off Studies must work closely with S4S staff to develop the study’s IRB protocol and materials to ensure alignment with the registry protocol.
- Spin-Off Study data and resulting analyses are deposited into the Spit for Science registry.